Why be so violent all of a sudden? Because procrastination is probably the most vicious flaw you can have. You will never feel it, never notice that you are procrastinating. And before you know; it’s too late. Procrastination has eaten you alive like a cancer and are now face-to-face with a problem. A problem created by yourself; created by your procrastination.
What is procrastinating?
In one line, procrastination is not taking care of something (mostly because you dislike it) and naively thinking that time will take care of it.
Most people procrastinate when it’s time to:
– File their taxes
– Take care of their finances (plan their retirement, set an investment strategy, write their will, etc.)
– Go to the doctor or the dentist (for a regular check-up)
– Do admin work (this is my style!)
The problem with procrastination is that you can get into some serious trouble if you let things go. Therefore, this is why some people:
– lose money on their tax report
– can’t retire at the age they want
– get seriously ill or have a toothache
– get lost in admin paperwork and don’t know where to start to get back on track
How can you stop procrastinating?
Since I am a big procrastinator, I had to find a trick to stop putting things I don’t like on a shelf. My trick is quite simple, easy to use and can be applied to any situation.
My trick is to have a plan
Not any kind of plan, in order to be successful, your plan must:
– Be in writing (I’ve noticed that you are more accountable when things are written)
– Be clear (“trying to do it” is not enough, the task must be very specific)
– Be time bound (nothing is getting done without a time frame!)
As you can see, my plan must follow the SMART method. At the beginning of the month, I have now started to write a detailed plan of what I am going to do for both my business and at work. This is simple and it takes only a few minutes to do.
In the best case scenario, let someone know about your plan. It could be your partner, your spouse, your friend or even a colleague at work. If you let people know, you will become even more accountable. This way, you will feel that you have no other choice but to complete your tasks.
So when I don’t feel like doing anything, I just go back to my plan and look at what needs to be accomplished this week. Since I know that I will have to do it anyways, I just make sure everything gets done by the end of the week. Putting things to the next week is not an option. If it was, it would be part of the Evil Procrastination plan ;-).
|How I Suck at Not Paying Debts||Hitting 6 Figures Income at 28|
|How I Get a Huge Income Raise Each Year||Making $125K Online in 12 months|
|How I Buy Blogs||Most Debated Articles: The Primerica Saga|
|How I Have Survived My MBA||What is So Wrong With Making Money?|
|How I run multiples blogs and makes money without burning out|